This is an experiment in growing strawberries. Moza saw an idea on Instagram and, being the clever fellow he is, adapted it for our orchard – a downpipe strawberry grower!
Here’s how he did it (and you can too!):
- Find an unused downpipe
- Fill with a lovely mix of soil and compost
- Cover each end to prevent soil escaping (he used duct tape)
- Drill small holes along one of the short sides
- Source strawberry plants – we were lucky enough to get some via a Facebook post to our local neighborhood group
- Carefully plant one strawberry plant in each hole (they are quite delicate)
- Attach the downpipe strawberry grower to the orchard fence at each end with cable ties
- Water plants and enjoy!
I have to say have never tasted – or smelled – strawberries so fresh. They taste sooo much better that any store-bought ones I have ever had.
Now to keep the crop coming – and to think of a better name for this contraption!